Granulated Sugar – 1 1/3 cups
Water – 4 tbsp
Egg Yolks – 2 (optional)
Coconut – 2 cups, white part only, grated
Fresh Bread Cubes – 1 cup, crust removed
Raisins – 1 tbsp, washed
Cashew Nuts / Almonds – 1 tbsp, blanched, chopped
Butter / Ghee – 1 tsp
1. Dissolve the sugar in the water in a pan over moderate heat.
2. If using, beat the egg yolks well.
3. Pour into an icing bag with a very fine nozzle.
4. Drizzle the egg yolk into the hot sugar syrup in a lacy pattern.
5. When set, lift out with a slotted spoon and leave to cool.
6. Add the coconut and bread to the remaining sugar syrup and cook till it comes together and the moisture is absorbed (approximately 5 to 7 minutes).
7. Do not let the mixture get too dry.
8. Add the dried fruits and butter/ ghee.
9. Mix well.
10. Pour on to a greased plate and leave to set.
11. Gently arrange the cooked egg yolk on top, if desired.