Migraine is an intense, throbbing, and recurrent headache. It is a hereditary condition, and the inheritance is passed down through the females rather than the males. It generally affects one side of the head and often behind one eye or temple but sometimes affects both sides of head accompanied by nausea or vomiting and is particularly sensitive to bright light, loud noises, and smell.
A migraine headache comes on suddenly. The head and neck muscles, reacting from continuous stress, become overworked. The tight muscles squeeze the arteries and reduce the blood flow. Then, when the person relaxes suddenly, the constricted muscles expand, stretching the blood vessel walls. With each heartbeat, the blood pushes through these vessels and expands them further, causing intense pain.
Migraine gives a fair warning before striking. The patient sees flashes of light or black spots or only parts of the objects in front of him.
Following are the major migraine symptoms:
2. Throbbing pain in half of head
3. Eyes become red and patient perceives of burning eyes
4. Nausea sensation and vomiting
5. Loss of appetite
6. Patient wishes to stays all alone during and feels comfortable in silent and dark room
7. Depression and irritability
8. Numbness or weakness in an arm or leg
Following are the major migraine causes:
1. Stress and over burdening of mind
3. Acidity, Indigestion or Constipation
4. Excessive smoking and taking of alcohol
5. Low blood sugar, low blood pressure
6. General body weakness
7. Menstruation in women
8. Nutritional deficiency
9. Consistent overwork
10. Improper sleep and rest
Following are some of the effective home remedies for migraine:
1. Eat 10-12 almonds, for a migraine headache. It is very effective in migraine treatment.
2. Take juice of ripe grapes. It is an effective home remedy for migraine headache.
3. Make a solution by adding half a teaspoon mustard seeds powder and three teaspoons water, put in the nostrils; it helps to decrease the migraine headache.
4. Take few leaves of the cabbage crush them, and then place in a cloth and bound on the forehead at bedtime, or when convenient during the day. The Compress should be renewed when the leaves dry out. It is very effective in migraine relief.
5. The crusts of lemon are also very beneficial in the treatment of migraine headache. These crusts should be included into a fine paste in a mortar. The paste should be applied, it plaster on the forehead. It is very helpful in migraine cure.
6. Carrot juice, in combination with spinach like, or beet and cucumber juices, is also very effective in the treatment of migraine. In the first combination, 200 ml of spinach juice may be mixed with 300 ml of carrot juice to prepare 500 ml or half a liter of the combined juices. In the second combination, 100 ml each of beet and cucumber juices may be mixed with 300 ml of carrot juice.
Migraine Treatment and Advice
1. Do not take heavy and spicy food stuff.
2. Avoid unwanted stress.
3. Tie a tight cloth around the head. It will decrease blood flow to the scalp and lessen the throbbing and pounding of a migraine.
4. Avoid chocolate, aged cheese, red wine, citrus fruits. These foods all contain tyramine or other histamines which have been shown to begin migraines in people with food sensitivities.
5. Niacin has proved helpful in relieving migraine pain. Natural sources of this vitamin are yeast, whole wheat, green leafy vegetables, tomatoes, nuts, sunflower seeds, liver, and fish.
Best Of Odisha does not provide medical advice. It is intended for informational purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the Best Of Odisha Site.